Hegel argued that history is the progression of reason brought about through confrontation. So when reason fulfills this promise and humanity becomes fully rational then confrontation – and history itself – will end. During this process humanity and each person becomes more and more free.
- Do you think that society is progressing? What role, if any, does reasons play in progress?
- Do you think that progress will ever be “completed”? Is progress inevitable?
- Do you ever think war will ever be just a thing of the past?
- Do you ever think society will ever become fully rational? Why or why not?
- What would a fully rational society look like?
Keywords: Hegel, history, philosophy, teleology, war, rationality, human nature, freedom, society, progress