School of Life presents the basics of global wealth inequality between today’s 192 countries of the world. Inequality is just a fact about the world we live in, regardless of what you think about economics justice. So what causes it? The video focuses on three factors: institutions, culture, and geography. The video argues that we should take these lessons to heart and learn modesty in our success and sympathy with others’ poverty.
- What qualifies a country as ‘poor’?
- What are the three factors that are the causes of poverty for a country?
- How do corrupt institutions cause poverty?
- What is ‘clan based thinking’ and how is it seen as fair? Is it fair or corrupt?
- What is the relationship between culture and religion with a country’s wealth?
- How has geography historically affected the agriculture, health, transportation, and natural resources of a country? How does that then subsequently affect wealth?
- What moral lessons can we learn from all of this?
Keywords: economics, politics, income, inequality, wealth, poverty, culture, geography,