This video discusses the formation of identity and our allegiance to certain consumer products and groups. Whether it’s our iphone or sports team, we almost unavoidably form preferences that we then defend and sometimes irrationally stick to. There can be some benefits to this, but a lot of downsides as well.
- What is social identity theory? What examples of identities can you think of?
- How can us vs them thinking change the way we think and see the world?
- What is choice supported bias? Why do we rationalize our allegiances and biases?
- How can we protect ourselves from these biases?
- Are their any benefits to group identities and allegiances?
Keywords: gaming, fan, team, sports, in group, psychology, allegiance, society, market, capitalism, consumerism, status,