Writer Hemant Mehta discusses the common notion that atheism is a religion. He dismisses the idea as meaningless and blurring the definition of the word ‘religion’. He then discusses new “atheist churches” and the nuances and benefits of these kinds of organizations.
- What is a religion?
- What is Mehta’s argument for why atheism is not a religion? Do you agree?
- Why do you think people call atheism a religion?
- What is an “atheist church”? Have you ever attended one?
- What do people do there and why? Does this make it a religious gathering?
- What might be the pros and cons of atheist churches?
Keywords: atheism, religion, church, Sunday Assembly, humanism, Ethical Culture