The British Humanist Association has developed a great introduction to Humanism as described by a range of leading Humanists thinkers and activists. The video description says that “all humanism really is, is people wanting to live ethical and happy lives, thinking for themselves, without religion imposing its own morals on them which are not necessarily compatible with living ethically today.” The video features interviews with: Richard Dawkins, A C Grayling, Tim Minchin, Andrew Copson, Polly Toynbee, Rumi Hassan, Philip Pullman, & Zoe Margolis.
- What are some of the definitions and descriptions of Humanism discussed in the video?
- What is Humanism in your own words? Try to collectively come up with a definition.
- Do you think Humanism is a religion? Why or why not?
- Can you be ‘good without god’? What would morality without god or religion look like?
- Why do Humanists like science so much?
Keywords: Humanism, Secularism, Religion, ethics, morality, science, human nature, naturalism