TMP, in their characteristic quick, funny, and sometimes lewd style, discusses Hume and his philosophy, focusing mostly on skepticism, empiricism, atheism, bundle theory, and the problem of induction. Quite a lot for 3 minutes! This video introduces a whole bunch of issues in a fun way. It can spark conversations, but it won’t provide much meat for them. This video may also be more appropriate for older students since it contains a good bit of cursing.
- What is skepticism? What are some of it’s strengths? Where might it fall short?
- What is empiricism? Do you agree our senses are all we have? If not, how else can we know things about the world?
- Why did Hume doubt the idea of God? Do you think his argument works?
- What is bundle theory? According to this, how might we understand what an apple actually is? How might we understand what our ‘self’ actually is?
- What is the problem of induction? Why is it a problem for science?
Keywords: philosophy, Hume, famous freethinkers, God, atheism, induction, knowledge, metaphysics, epistemology