Neil deGrasse Tyson plus great animations, enough said. Tyson begins with the Big Bang and the formation of the basic forces. He then discusses galaxies, stars, and the basic elements. About two-thirds of the way through Tyson begins to discuss the development of both Earth and life on the planet. In the last minute, he discusses the history of life on Earth, including the extinction of the dinosaurs and the appearance of humanity, and ends with an inspiring message about the adventure and further discovery we have to look forward to as a species.
- What did you find most interesting or surprising?
- How did the universe begin? What are some of the mysteries still unanswered?
- Can we say we know how it began if there are still so many mysteries?
- How long was the universe around before life? Before humanity? What kind of lessons might we draw from this?
- Tyson ends by looking forward. What kind of values, ideas, and goals does he think humanity and us as individuals should nurture?
Keywords: history, physics, cosmology, Big Bang, chemistry, astronomy, life, humanity, evolution, science, nature, life